This was in response to the horrible article I found here.
- Your success and worth as a Christian in the group based primarily on spiritual performance and/or obedience to church “authority”… being the Pastor.
- Your particular church teaches that your group is “set apart” (a remnant) from other Christian churches as being special, better or chosen.
- There an overwhelming focus on maintaining the “spiritual covering” of a church leader, mentor or “shepherd”.
- The group require personal and financial decisions to be “approved” by church leadership.
- If a member disagrees with the church, that member is labeled a “rebel” or “Jezebel” or worse “Emergent”.
- Open communication discouraged and even forbidden.
- Disobedience to church authority considered the same as disobedience to God himself.
- Members are discouraged from communicating with friends and family that don’t agree with church policy and doctrine.
- Church authorities decide what your “spiritual gifts” are.
- When times become tough, the member is told that they don’t tithe enough, have hidden sin in their lives, or that they need “more accountability”.
- There should be NO joy in serving Christ that you did at the beginning of your relationship with the church. You must feel performance anxiety and and intense need to ensure that you don’t fail or mess it up.